The SPH Magazines Internship Programme offers a guided, hands-on experience to introduce and immerse you in the workings of the industry. This invaluable opportunity is also a great way to gain relevant job experience for future careers in publishing or related industries.
The programmes allow students who want an exposure to editorial, design, or marketing work as part of their course requirements.
Interns would be assigned to one of the units, depending on your area of preference. You would be required to assist in some operation tasks independently, working as a team whilst shadowing a full time employee.
Editorial (Writing) Interns will be attached to one of our lifestyle or luxury magazines, namely Her World, Simply Her, Female, Nuyou, Harper's Bazaar, Cosmopolitan, The Singapore Women's Weekly, CLEO, The Peak, ICON, Young Parents, Home and Decor, Men's Health and HardwareMag.
You may be involved in the brainstorming sessions for ideas for the respective audiences of the publication you are assigned to. You would be required to write short stories and might be expected to coordinate your own stories and shoots. You may be required to source, loan and return items required for review or photo shoots.
There are opportunities for you to attend events which may occasionally be held in the evenings or over the weekends.
Design Interns will be mentored by an experienced designer/ Art Director to learn about the various aspects of design from layout, to story conceptualisation, and page design. You may be expected to research for story ideas, and be resourceful in getting props to stage a shoot, coordinate key elements of a shoot (personality/ model/ products), check and collate materials produced for post-production work, and design final layouts.
Marketing Interns will learn how events and activities tie in with the editorial efforts. You will be involved in the organization, implementation and coordination of a variety of events, which may be held in the evenings or on weekends.
All interns must:
- Have a good learning attitude and a sense of responsibility
- Be self-driven and able to work as independently as possible
- Have good communication skills and be professional in all you do
- Be able to commit to a minimum period of 3 months.
If you are looking to join the Editorial (Writing) Internship, you should also:
- Have a good command of language and proficient writing ability
- Be curious, questioning and resourceful
- Be observant with an eye for details
- Be confident enough to approach strangers for quotes
- Be tenacious enough to take several re-writes in your strides... and learn from it.
If you are on a Design Internship, you should also:
- Be proficient in Adobe InDesign
- Have a sense of aesthetics (Please indicate a list of books/ magazines/ sources that you draw inspiration from)
- Be meticulous, with an eye for details.
To be considered for any of these, please send in:
- Your CV
- Latest academic results
- The internship you are applying for
For the Editorial (Writing) Internship, please also send in samples of any relevant stories you've written recently.
For the Design Internship, please send in a portfolio of your creative work for consideration.